Tuesday, April 6, 2010

15 hours, 5 minutes, 2 seconds

it's been a rough start to year 2010. this year, like apple bottoms had promise, but thus far has failed to deliver on the basics...until now. and 15 hours, 5 minutes and 2 seconds changed the dreary outlook i've had to the year.

2 seconds
as soon as i logged onto facebook my eyes scanned the home page and i was drawn to his grammatically incorrect, but perfect status update. i commented without thinking and before long we had exchanged blackberry pins and were fast friends. now it must be noted that this boy is not your typical hottie - he's on the scrawny side with a beanstalk frame, and those arms that look like they could wrap around you twice over. but something about his awkwardness gave me warm, fuzzy feelings. i had met him a few times, but really could not give a clear description. had i been asked by the police, i would have stupidly answered, 'tall, skinny and nunu-pie...' i'm a brave flirt, but my idea of flirting involves incessant teasing and borderline insults. i had my 'a' game on for the poor boy. he didn't seem fazed and fired witty comeback after witty comeback...even venturing to call me a show-off...and just like that, in 2 seconds, i was well on my way to smittenville...

5 minutes
it took me 5 minutes to decide that i had to see him that very night. the fact that he was 4 hours away didn't prove a challenge and before i could analyse what i was doing or what it all meant, i was 2 hours in the 4 hour drive with 2 girlfriends in the car still puzzled, asking who this boy was. as usual, i hadn't thought this through. it was too late to turn back - but too early to be making the effort. the meeting was uncomfortable for sure, but that quickly dissipated as we slid into easy banter, as if we have known each other for ages. it felt so natural that it was difficult to not imagine a forever. i was getting ahead of myself as usual. it was time to put on my big girl panties and move on out of this scenario. i was quickly losing control, and it was making me nervous.

15 hours
after only 2 hours, we jumped back into my car to drive another 4 hours far, far away from the fairytale i was imagining. back into my safe, secure, concrete reality. i literally ran back home to my mama and pretended like that episode had not happened, or shaken me to my core. surely i was grown up now, and didn't allow smooth talking and easy smiles to trip up logic and weaken my knees. surely a few well placed jokes and smart retorts didn't constitute a true connection. surely vibin' to a song or two and an accidental touch didn't mean any of this was real. i closed my eyes while my friend sped through the n1. soon i was home. i was safe. i deleted his blackberry messages and got back in touch with my sensible self. i had this one under control - or so i thought. maybe these things are not meant to be controlled. in no time i was entangled in an intriguing 5 hour marathon conversation about nothing...and everything. "conversation is a dying art," he said. mmmhhh, this is going to be interesting.

until a few minutes ago, i was still trying to figure out exactly what was happening. but bugger that, i'm just gonna put my seatbelt on for the ride for another few hours, minutes and seconds...

No comments:

Post a Comment